Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Time to Go, July 26, 2014

This time next week I will have been in Argentina for almost a week! I'm really really excited to leave! This last week has been just phenomenal in so many ways that are so hard to describe. The Lord truly does promise blessings beyond that which we can receive when we do what he says. 

Here's an interesting thought on obedience. A lot of people say " It's ok if I break this little rule, I'm not going to go to hell for doing this." Ok they are probably right about that, but the Lord has promised that when you do what he says he will protect and bless you, and when you do not what he says you have no promise. Any time when you decide to justify your way through a little bit of wrong because it's not "that bad" you are giving up that promise. If you choose to follow through with your action it is possible that God will help you, but you are sort of leaving it up to chance. If however you are exactly obedient then you have a 100% chance of having the Lord's help. So no it won't curse you forever, but why would you forfeit such help and blessings for something that I can promise you will bring you no lasting peace or happiness? If it is against the teachings of the prophets then it is because it is not good for you. No amount of logic or reasoning of men can change that. If you don't see the reason for a rule try this, live it. The Lord will tell you after you show your faith. I know this to be true.

Another thought that has been really important to me this last week is on following the Spirit. So many people wonder, "How can I now if I am following the Spirit's Promptings or my own thoughts?" In the words of Elder Bednar, "Stop worrying about it." Elder Bednar goes on to say that as long as we are being "good boys or good girls" it does not matter if it is the Spirit or your own thought. If what you are doing is in line with what the Prophets and scriptures have said then it is ok. Often times you will be unable to notice the way in which the spirit works in you, that's why it is called the still small voice, only afterwards will you realize that God had a hand in it. In addition, as you grow closer to God and Jesus Christ, your thoughts will come more in line with theirs. And their will be no need for the spirit to prompt you to do something because you will already be doing it. So really just be a "good boy or good girl" like Elder Bednar said, look for opportunities to do good and don't worry about the rest. If the Lord needs you to do something different then what you are doing, you will know. 

It's been a real blessing to be in the MTC these last few weeks, I've had so many wonderful spiritual experiences, prayers have been answered time and time again. I hope to hear from you, I love you all. Probably the best way to get a hold of me if you wish will be through DearElder.com I don't know how it works but my companions family has used it to write to me, so I'm guessing it's not to hard.

Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment