Wednesday, August 6, 2014

I'm in the Field (Aug 4, 2014)

So a lot has happened since I last sent an email.

I am now in a country where everyone speaks an alien language which is not the same language that I was taught in the MTC. haha I´m suffering from the interesting phenomenon of being able to speak much more than I am able to understand. I can answer all sorts of questions and tell stories and stuff in spanish, but since I have no idea what other people are saying to me.... well I tend to spend a lot of time confused and silent because as soon as a person learns that I can't understand Spanish they only want to talk to my companion and they ignore me, and make fun of me because they think I won´t understand, interestingly enough the only thing I can understand is when they are talking about me. But I truly do like it here. The food is actually really good, and the people are very friendly for the most part.

So the Sunday before I left I sang a musical number with my district, it was a compilation of Nearer My God to Thee (English) and Lead Kindly Light (Spanish) we had an amazing piano player in our zone who through together an arrangement in two minutes. Apparently he has been studying piano performance in college.

So I left early in the morning for the Airport and after long flights and layovers I made it to Posadas. My mission President is so awesome and so is my companion Elder SaldaƱa. 

Currently I am living in a hole in the wall. It´s small but not too bad, but it´s very rundown. The walls are covered with mold. And anything that is clean in the apartment is clean because I cleaned it (mom and dad be proud). When we first moved in there was dirt and mold covering the floor, the table was black(when I cleaned it turned white) and the kitchen was stuffed full of moldy food and dishes. We don't have a lot of time to clean but little by little we're making it hospitable. I just try to pretend I'm in another place while showering and that there are not more spiders in there than there are sand in the sea. 

Apparently it´s a really bad pension even for Posadas, so the Assistants to the Presidents are trying to get us a new one.

So Important stuff, we've had some success. We've got several investigators a few even with baptismal dates that we've found just this week we had two investigators at church this week!. And we've had reasonable success with encouraging less active members to attend church. 

Goof Reel:
My companion decided to tell a less active member that I was an amazing singer and that if they wanted I would sing a solo. I couldn't really understand what was going on..... so yep I sang a solo ¨Divina Luz¨ (Lead Kindly Light) It actually wasn't to bad, and since singing isn´t really something anyone here seems to be good at, they seemed to think that I was pretty good.

Love you all!
Elder Jonathan Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment