Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Semana Dos en el Campo (Week Two in Country) Aug 11, 2014

So..........I´m exhausted in every way possible. The Lord in his infinite mercy has blessed me with just enough strength to get through each day. But I still am doing wonderful, frustrated and confused at points, but I´m not letting it keep me down. 

One of the wonderful things about this place is that it´s not hard to get people to talk to you. The major problem is that they´ll listen and then not want to do anything. I´m starting to be able to understand people better and am slowly getting starting to be able to talk better, but I´ve still got a long way to go, but that´s just how it works, the gift of tongues is real. But like all gifts it only comes to those who are willing to work to get it. 

Apparently number wise me and Elder Saldaña are doing amazing, 19 baptismal dates, and stuff like that, unfortunately not a single person came to church and most of those baptismal dates have since chosen not to follow through... yep it´s sad but I can´t take away their agency. 

This Saturday I had a wonderful experience, the day had been rather disappointing, all our 5 appointments including the one with our most promising investigator had fallen through. We did manage to have a few discussions with others but they didn´t really seem to go very well. It was 8:40 at night and we didn´t know what to do but go looking for people, yep tracting, that thing that the MTC said was a thing of the past, well i´m not so sure if that´s true, so far all work with members has proven fairly fruitless. 

Anyways my companion asked me where I wanted to go. I had know idea and he seemed really discouraged. I´d heard lots of stories about missionaries saying prayers and then being lead to houses of investigators so I decided, why not, I´m a missionary, I´m trying to be obedient, although I haven´t been perfect I´ve tried to plan and none of the plans have worked, I believe the Lord will guide me if there´s somewhere he needs me to go. So I said a really short prayer, and it was as if in my head my vision zoomed down the street about 4 or five houses turned right to face a cement house with lights on. I opened my eyes and wasn´t sure if it was my imagination or not, but I decided why not, it won´t hurt to try. 

So we walked down the street, and there was a house that looked very similar to the one I thought I had seen in my mind, I clapped at the gate (in Argentina you don´t knock on doors), and out came an old man, in broken Spanish I tried the classic horrendously awful door approach (because that´s all i know how to do in Spanish) and he wasn´t very interested, my companion asked if he knew someone that would be interested, someone who had possibly had a relative pass away and could use some comfort. At that point the man told us that his wife had died just three months ago. Because of this we were able to share with him a brief message about the plan of salvation and we gave him a pamphlet, we had to leave because it was late, and he didn´t have time. 

But we returned Sunday night and he had read the whole thing and was very excited about it, once again he didn´t have time and it was late so we gave him a pamphlet on the Restoration. I truly hope that he continues to be interested, he seems to be the most interested person of all the people I´ve met so far. But he has his agency and will choose his own path. But I do know of a surety that we were led to that house and that my companion was inspired as he told me later as to what question to ask.

I love you ALL
Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment